Thursday, March 23, 2006

Just wish to be there

Honestly speaking, I have been a confused person almost everytime when it comes to making a choice, whether it is just about petty things like which drink to order in a bar, which restaurant to visit or even what course to take? But, may be this is what someone termed as The Problem of Choice. And, this problem assumes humungous proportions when the matter is something that decides your future, the choice of career.

I had a good CGPA, could have applied for further studies and may be I would have got admitted to some decent US univ. and would have been slated to live a normal graduate student life in the land of dreams called USA. But, I declined the choice and decided not to go for it.

In the meantime, I was lucky to get a job with Lehman Brothers, Mumbai on the second day after the placements began. It took time to sink in that I was offered the job within minutes after my first interview was over. I was really elated that I was out of the trauma of giving tests, interviews, waiting outside TnP for hours and returning alone to the darkness of your room. The most painful part of the experience is when you are required to answer every Tom, Dick and Harry why the hell, the company did not pick you? I just do not know why the stupid friend of mine does not understand how could have I known that?

And, then happens the unexpected. God sends me a gift on my 21st birthday. NO, do not start getting any funny ideas since it was not any sizzling beauty but only interview calls from all 6 IIMs. I gave interviews of IIM L and IIM I, I would be lying if I say that I did not find the process of GD and PI an arduous experience, not to forget the 3-hr long travel in the humid stinking local train, KGP-CAL. But, I bore all those pains. When I could bear it no more, I made a choice and skipped Kozhikode interview, against my good judgement which suggested me to be there if for nothing, then for the sake of GD and PI practice. But, my laziness won over my mind and I stayed.

But, here comes the big one, IIM Ahmedabad. I, for the first time, am feeling that I wish to get an admission offer from this IIM. I visited the institute website, washed my clothes myself, got my friend to get them pressed (I am not a lazy bum, but I am really bad at these chores). And, now I thought to do something to get over my anxiety, what better way to read some blogs. The two blogs, I accidentally reach are both from last year's IIM A students Arvind's The Lord of the things and Suze's Sine Qua Non. Reading their thoughts, it kindled the desire to be at this temple of education, founded in 1961 by the efforts of many visionaries including Dr. Vikram Sarabhai. Personally I feel, he is one of the greatest visionaries independent India ever saw. And, I will write more about my interview experience later.

I request all my readers to leave a comment wishing me good luck, I really need it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Abhieshek said...

"I had a good CGPA"....isnt it like lata Mangeshkar saying that she is a gud singer..:))...anyway best of luck..

11:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am grateful for the comparison u made, but I do not think I am worthy of it. Thanks for the wishes.

12:01 AM  
Blogger aphrodite said...

all the very best for ur IIM A as well as IIM B interview......

12:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@aphrodite
Thanks

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tempo se modi...phod ke aana..
GJ

1:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@GJ:thanks be

2:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@free soul:
I do not know

1:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@adarsh:
Thanks a lot.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Chintan said...

Wish you all the best! Do well, pal and let me know how it went!
Cheers,
Chintan

2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@chintan:
Thanks.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home