Friday, April 07, 2006

Farewell

These are my last few days on the campus, I did not realise that until I got to see the notice "Final year Farewell". I was so much immersed in the comfortable KGP life that I did not notice that the time has come to bid adieu to all the friends I made during last 4 years. I could not help myself noticing the calligraphed italicised word "Farewell". I asked myself what does that mean? So, I decided to do some research and find out the genesis of the word, Farewell. But, even Google proved to be of little help and I sat myself on the path of making stupid guesses.

When someone was bidding farewell, was he saying "Hey, you fared well here for the last 4 years .. but you lazy bums, enough of it now, leave this place and get your ass moving ... face the real life, the dog-eat-dog world and try learning some useful lessons. Or was it a simple wish to all to fare well in future. I do not know, but what I know is that in a matter of few days I will be coerced to relinquish the cosy environment of KGP and will be thrown in all wilderness to face this cruel world all alone. I will miss my 24-hr internet connection and a LAN with terabytes of movies and tv series waiting to entertain you. I will miss my friends whom I could turn to for any advice and help, at any time of the day (no, I think any time of night would be more appropriate). Where will I get the endless bhaat sessions, the hot discussions on the mess table, short sweet jokes.

But, as they said there is a silver lining with every dark cloud and there is no exception here as well. I would surely not miss the mess food, believe me I cooked for myself a few times while I was in france and I cook better than that....I simply can't feel lucky enough that I am gonna get rid of it. Then, I will not miss all the cholbe na, hobe na and Korbe na, that seems to be a part of KGP life as well. I can never fathom why the tech. market opens only for a few hrs, are not these people interested to work hard to earn more money?


But, despite everything, this place has given a new meaning to my life. I learnt here that both success and failure are a part of life, one needs to accept both in the same stride. Finally, I feel I came here as a boy, and I will pass out as a man.

15 Comments:

Blogger KS said...

atta boy! fare well. nice post.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@sudhir (I prefer calling u kontham):
thanks man, though I just wish I could write like you. read your tagged ..

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cook??? ah yes, putting the ready to eat pizza in oven, using four pans excluding the cooker for making arhar dal and of course that goddamn cuisine that ur sister told. It was better told than made, don't even know how to call it, I guess probably some species of upma!!!
U passed out as a man??? dude u still have to wait that day, oops that *night*.
btw when u leaving man?

1:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@anonymous (I know u, but leave ur name...):
I will leave in mid May. u coming to India?

2:10 AM  
Blogger Sunny said...

All the best for life Modi :-)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@sunny:
thanks dude.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Divya Rao said...

hey throw more light on korba na etc..we non-iitians have no clue abt it!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey, this is not IIT stuff. This is all bangla ... waise cholbe na, korbe na, hobe na is what bengalis say ...it simply translates to "I won't work."

4:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@free_soul:
I will try to have the innocence of a child.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

discovered just now that u blog...blog frequently and blog well....well, 'Farewell'- nice it was..but thr were many points left untouched.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@vivek (happa):

Ya, I do blog .. farewell is yet to be completed, with the final entry to be the last one from KGP. It is just a start of the final countdown. waise suggestions and criticism are always welcome.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it..

vivek vgsom

1:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@vivek (vgsom):
thanks for being a regular reader.

8:16 PM  
Blogger naween said...

the hot discussions on the mess table, short sweet jokes

ahem !! isn't that an understatement ??

1:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@whoami:
interesting observation.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home